Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Auto Repair - Windshield and Side Mirror - Where do I take it?

My car has a busted side-view mirror and an enormous crack in the windshield. The crack was a dime sized dot for two days, then a cold snap hit and now it's across the whole bottom part of the windshield. I never had time to take it to be fixed, which is really irritating, since now it looks like I'll have to have the whole windshield replaced. The mirror probably will be too. The glass is completely gone and the frame is severely cracked. Argh.



Anyway, I don't know anything about cars except how to put gas in them and change a tire. Do I take this to a body shop? The dealer? About what should I expect to pay? I have a cheap insurance policy with a high deductible so I'm expecting to cover most of the cost out of pocket.Auto Repair - Windshield and Side Mirror - Where do I take it?
You might be able to find a used mirror assembly in an auto salvage yard. They're fairly easy to replace. For the windshield, you'll have to go to an auto glass shop. Find one in your local phone book.Auto Repair - Windshield and Side Mirror - Where do I take it?
take it to a glass shop. A glass shop can install a new windshield and the windshield cannot get wet for 24 hours to allow time for the urethane sealing glue to set.

this is a sealing glue they put around the windshield.



now as for the door mirror , first things first , call your dealer , give them your VIN number and ask if a replacement glass is available and if not , price out the entire mirror head.



then price out the labor to change it. From there you can call around to a wrecking yard and get a used mirror and then call an independent garage for the labor .



next time you have a small crack in your windshield , call a glass shop , they can repair the crack and the insurance company will pay for it completely.



prices vary so quoting prices here would not be possible.Auto Repair - Windshield and Side Mirror - Where do I take it?
My company provides auto glass referrals throughout the United States, we can help with this.



If your deductible is high, you'll probably have to pay. If you tell me year/make/model, I can give you an estimate.