Wednesday, November 24, 2010

2002 Ford Explorer - How do I know if my antenna wire is cut?

My radio gets terrible, terrible, awful reception and I'm in a fairly large metro market. It used to work fine.



There is a little black squarish thing that sticks out a little bit from the roof line near the windshield, just above where oil change and tire places put their little reminder stickers. This is attached to a wire which... is attached to nothing!



Is that, by any chance, the wire that is supposed to connect my antenna to my radio? If so, do you know how in the world I would get it connected again? Would I have to have someone remove the whole ceiling of my car?2002 Ford Explorer - How do I know if my antenna wire is cut?
That sounds like the optional cell phone antenna.

Sometimes removing the radio, pulling out he antenna and then putting it back in helps.

I have 96 Ford radio and something inside it just blew and now I don't get FM only AM. So maybe the factory radio just crapped out.2002 Ford Explorer - How do I know if my antenna wire is cut?
Ask your mechanic. Probably takes about 30 seconds to check.2002 Ford Explorer - How do I know if my antenna wire is cut?
The antenna probably came unplugged from the back of the radio. I had a ford that did that all the time. Someone stuck their foot to far up the floor board and it pulled it out.2002 Ford Explorer - How do I know if my antenna wire is cut?
Is your antenna integrated in to the windshield? If it's not then I doubt this wire is to your radio. The antenna wire is often run from the front fender (If your antenna is located on the front) through the firewall and in to the back of the radio on the dash. If your antenna is located on the back it will run along the floor board. in to the back of the radio. I would have the dealership take a look at it and have them determine where the wire goes. As far as the radio issue it's probably become disconnected from the back of the radio. I would check there first.