Thursday, June 2, 2011

Is this insurance fraud? If so, how likely am I to be found out/punished for it?

Three months ago, in the dead of winter, my windshield cracked because of the extreme and rapid changes in temperature. At the time, I wasn't covered for glass damage by my insurance package. It's time for me to renew now (I buy insurance in 6-month blocks online) and I need to get my state inspection sticker by August. So, if I renew my insurance now and add glass, then claim the cracked windshield in two months and then get my inspection sticker, will the insurance company be wise to my fraud? Is this even fraud? What chances do I have of getting the inspection sticker if I don't replace the windshield, which has a crack that runs across the entire width of the glass?Is this insurance fraud? If so, how likely am I to be found out/punished for it?
This, unfortunately, is insurance fraud.

Of course, the honesty and integrity of the insurance agency is questionable in and of itself, so my guess would be that they'd simply be upset that you beat them at their own game. Even if you did get glass coverage, you would still be stuck paying the deductible, so you're better off just going about this honestly; skip the glass coverage, get the cheapest window you can find, get your sticker, go on your merry way.Is this insurance fraud? If so, how likely am I to be found out/punished for it?
Yes, it's insurance fraud.



Dollars to donuts, if you all of a sudden add glass coverage, and then file a glass claim, the company's going to investigate that.



You're not going to pass inspection without that windshield being replaced.



BUT. Plan B. You will have a DEDUCTIBLE for glass, usually it's $250. That means, the first $250 of cost, you have to pay for, ANYWAY. So, if you call a junkyard, ask how much for them to give you a used windshield, and see if they'll install it. Usually, you can find one, installed, for under $150.Is this insurance fraud? If so, how likely am I to be found out/punished for it?
Yes





It is insurance fraud.



Yes it is a crime.



Yes it is the same as stealing from everyone here on YA. We have to pay higher insurance premiums because of crooks like you.



So, I'd do the responsible thing and just pay out of pocket to replace the windshield. I don't recommend committing insurance fraud.Is this insurance fraud? If so, how likely am I to be found out/punished for it?
Yes it's fraud, I think you knew that and were just hoping it wasn't really weren't you ?



Will you get found out ?



Who can say... probably not, I dare say the guy fixes the screen can tell it's an old crack... but let's be honest there's little incentive on his part to tell your insurer he just wants the job.



Thing is you have to weigh up what will happen if you do get found out e.g. possible criminal record and refused insurance (or very high costs) in the future v the price of a new windscreen and ask yoru self... is it worth that gamble.



Only you and your conscience can decide that