Thursday, June 2, 2011

How can I get rid of the cigarette-smoke smell in my car vents?

I'm a nonsmoker, and I think the last person to work on my car was a smoker. Now the air coming through the windshield and floor vents smells like an ash tray.



Is there anything I can do to eliminate or reduce the smell? Changing the cabin microfilter didn't help. The car is a 2003 Nissan Altima.How can I get rid of the cigarette-smoke smell in my car vents?
Go to your local airport, - where the small airplanes fly in and out of. There is a product called %26quot;Ozium%26quot; that is specificaly made for removing odors,- it is most commonly used for removing %26quot;puke smell%26quot; from aircraft (this sort of smell very unpleasant in confined cabin of a small plane). This is product we used years ago when I worked as a mechanic for a Piper dealer. He kept his airplanes smelling clean and fresh with this stuff. Undobutedly there are other brands that do the same thing, - just tell the person a the the counter what you are looking for and why, and they will get you the right product, --or tell you where to buy it! All you have to do is start system working, and spray a little into the area where the air enters the heater/ventillating system, - generally near windshield under edge of hood on drivers side. Also you can try a little in the intake side of heater with the setting at %26quot;recirculate%26quot; (if car has this feature), - this will pull it through %26quot;entry%26quot; part of internal input also ( just listen for sound where it is %26quot;sucking in%26quot;). This will also get rid of %26quot;musty smell%26quot; from a/c, - if water isn't draining out properly and has grown %26quot;algae%26quot; (moss) inside heater plenum in %26quot;tank area%26quot;!How can I get rid of the cigarette-smoke smell in my car vents?
the problem might be the cars air filter....clean it...or ghange itHow can I get rid of the cigarette-smoke smell in my car vents?
Use fabreeze spray in there.How can I get rid of the cigarette-smoke smell in my car vents?
Lysol sprayHow can I get rid of the cigarette-smoke smell in my car vents?
There is a product that you can buy at some auto parts stores. It is basically an air freshener that you spray directly into the vents just for smells like that. It is sold with the rest of the air conditioning products like freon and stuff like that.



Also, it is possible that your car uses a cabin air filter. It is a filter designed for the interior of the car to keep bad smells from coming in. If you have one and it has never been changed, you will definately want to change it. They are located under the plastic piece under the wiper blades. I hope this is of some help to you. Good luck. :o)How can I get rid of the cigarette-smoke smell in my car vents?
All newer vehicles ( last 12 - 15 years ) have a cabin air filter. It will trap the odors, change that. It will help eliminate the smell.